Once again Christmas is upon us and we’d like to welcome to our final newsletter of 2017!
We are delighted to approach the end of 2017 with a very positive achievement, this being the results of the CQC inspection that took place in September. CQC focus on whether the services we provide are Caring, Safe, Effective, Well Led and Responsive and we are very happy to report that we were rated GOOD in all areas. You can see the full report here.
We are now well and truly into the cold weather season and will be likely to continue to experience very cold weather for the next few months. Below are some handy tips from the NHS Choices website that you may find useful in keeping your home and yourself warm:
- Draw curtains at dusk and keep your doors closed to block out draughts.
- Have regular hot drinks and eat at least one hot meal a day if possible. Eating regularly helps keep energy levels up during winter.
- Wear several light layers of warm clothes (rather than one chunky layer).
- Keep as active in your home as possible.
- Wrap up warm and wear shoes with a good grip if you need to go outside on cold days.
- If you have reduced mobility, are 65 or over, or have a health condition such as heart or lung disease, you should heat your home to at least 18C. It’s a good idea to keep your bedroom at this temperature all night if you can and make sure you wear enough clothes to stay warm. During the day, you may prefer your living room to be slightly warmer
- If you’re under 65 and healthy and active, you can safely have your house cooler than 18C, if you’re comfortable.
For the fifth year in succession HCL have supported the packing and distribution of winter packs for vulnerable adults in Liverpool. These packs contain a variety of festive and practical items, usually donated by local businesses, that are hopefully of use to our Service Users. We made a donation which awarded us 32 packs to be delivered to nominated vulnerable adults.
The packing day was 30 November and four of us went along to sort out the packs and get them delivered.
Care Certificate Success Stories
We’d like to say a big Well Done to Jade Roberts and Emma Carmichael who have both completed all 15 standards of the Care Certificate.
Our STARS Contract (Support, Talk, Act, Review and Share) working with Marie Curie to deliver end of life care is now operational and as the contract hours increase we are looking for Care Workers to join our STARS Team. If you or anybody you know has an interest in delivering end of life care please contact Rachael or Sophie at the HCL office on 0151 737 2820 for more information or send us a message we will get back to you.
We are also delivering care on the new Rapid Response Winter Pressure Contract which is enabling a more speedy release from hospital for Service Users. This frees up hospital beds to help provide some positive support for hospitals at this busy time of year.
Please check back in the New Year for updates about how these new contracts are progressing.
We hope you enjoyed the last batch of our news for 2017 and all that remains now is for HCL to wish everybody a Happy Christmas and a Peaceful New Year and we look forward to bringing you more news and views in 2018!